BK Makers Swap is a recurring event where members of the maker community share the things they make with each other. Handmade food, drink, art, clothing, jewelry, and more. The Swap allows direct trades to take place between attendees, e.g., a loaf of bread for a painting or a half-dozen backyard eggs for a t-shirt. Swap events often include a potluck, beverages, item-sampling, and sometimes a performance component. These events are a great way to diversify the handmade foods and crafts in your home while getting to know members of your local food community.
Swaps usually last about two hours. this is the format for most swaps unless it’s a special event:
- The first 30 minutes of the swap are devoted to sign-in, set-up, and greetings. Swappers fill out name tags and swap sheets and set up their wares on the tables.
- The next 1 hour is for everyone to walk around, network, examine, and sample items from the other swappers. Swappers will write their names and items they brought on the sheets for any items they would like to take home. Often there will be snacks and beverages served. Occasionally there will also be live music.
- The final 30 minutes are when all the swapping actually happens. Everyone goes back to his or her original sheets of paper, looks at the offers, finds interested offerers via their name tags, and swaps.
We’ll initially be holding the Swaps at venues in the Bushwick/Ridgewood/Williamsburg area of Brooklyn closest to our HQ. Our hope is, as interest grows, to be able to host Swaps in a variety of locations throughout the five boroughs. Swaps will hopefully occur on a monthly basis. Most likely, initial attendance will be limited to 20 Swappers depending on venue size and interest, but that’s something we’re still sorting out.
Of course, we will have to wait until such a time as we can once again gather in groups of more than 10 to have a proper swap, but we want to start building a list of makers in the five boroughs who would be interested in participating. The more diverse the goods; the better the swaps. To that end, we do not have a lot of rules, but there are a couple:
- All items must be handmade by the swapper.
- At the start, we’re requiring physical objects for swapping: food, drink, art, clothing, books, etc. As we progress, we might be open to allowing services (classes, consulting, etc.) to be swapped via gift certificates.
- This is purely a swap – nothing is for sale.
If you’re interested in participating when we finally are cleared to launch, please take a moment to fill out our registration form. We look forward to hearing from you.